There is still a lot of confusion regarding legendary gems in Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. There seems to be little information on how to get the Nephalem ghost Urshi in Greater Rifts in order to upgrade them.
Well, here is how to upgrade legendary gems in Diablo 3:
- First, you must acquire a legendary gem. You do this by entering a Greater Rift and defeat the Rift Guardian before the timer runs out.
- Now, the best thing to do is to go to higher levels of Greater Rifts, because the higher the level of the Greater Rift, the higher the chance for your gem to be successfully upgraded.
- At one time, the difficulty of the Greater Rift will become too hard, and the timer will run out.
- Now do not close the Rift! Continue defeating monster (even if you die) until the Rift Guardian shows up.
- Defeat him, collect the loot and you will see Urshi.
- Talk to her, and she will ask you to select the gem you want to upgrade. She will also tell you the chance that this upgrade is successfull.
So, keep that in mind. A Greater Rift level 21 will give you a 50% chance that the upgrade will be successfull. The higher the better.